How to Stop Getting Nightmare Clients
Nightmare clients can be hard to spot beforehand, and you might be wondering what on earth you can do to stop bringing them into your business.
Yes, there are certain vetting processes and marketing strategies you can use to bring a different type of client into your business, but there’s ONE often-overlooked thing you have to do first: Stop being your own worst client!
As with any type of business growth, attracting the right clients starts with your work on yourself.
A client once said to me, “I know what I’m doing. My clients get results, BIG results. But why am I not getting results?”
Have you ever felt that way?
Or maybe you see someone else with less experience than you who is killing it and you’re wondering what you’re doing wrong!
In either of those situations, the difference may be in knowing versus doing. Both are important. Yes, it’s important to know what to do, but knowing what to do is not the same as doing it! You have to do the work.
Imagine with me for just a moment that you have a client who knows it all. Or perhaps every time you recommend something, she tells you she’s tried it and it didn’t work. Or she knows that she should do something but was too busy to find the time to do the work and makes another excuse the next time you speak with her about why she didn’t get it done.
This kind of client can turn into a nightmare client. It wouldn’t take long before you sat down and had a serious conversation about her progress. Maybe you would give her some tough love but if it continued, you may end up firing that client.
Now, I’m curious, why do you continue to accept excuses from yourself?
Why do you not take your own advice?
Why are you your own worst client?
Two Steps to Stop Attracting Nightmare Clients By Starting on YOURSELF First
1. What Would you Tell a Client?
- Sometimes we are so close to our own situation, we struggle to look at things objectively. I know I’ve given clients advice only to turn around and have my coach give me the same advice! We have to take ourselves out of our situations and imagine that we were a client asking for advice in order to more clearly view the situation and decide what to do.
2. Take Your Own Advice!
- Take the advice! Once you know what to do, DO IT! If you have to, schedule time in your calendar to get it done. Block off time as if you were your own client booking time with you and take action! You can stop being your own worst client. You deserve better!
Listen to today’s episode to find out how to integrate these two steps and stop bringing nightmare clients into your business.
- Glean from our library of CEO resources at kathrynbinkley.com
- Connect more with Kathryn on Instagram!
Listen + Subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher!
We’d greatly appreciate a podcast rating and review so we can reach more entrepreneurs like you!
- Search for the podcast in your podcast app (Scale to Seven®)
- Scroll down and click 5 stars
- Tap “Write a Review” & enter a brief review
- Press send